West Palm Beach Hurricane Watch and Preparations
September is National Preparedness Month, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. As we move through the second half of the 2022 hurricane season. It is important to not only have a kit, but also to know your resources, and to have both communications and evacuation plans.
Family and community disaster planning experts are encouraging us throughout this month to limit the impacts that an emergency event could have on community homes. Always expect the unexpected. Check your kit, review your plan, and talk to your friends and family. Do this every few weeks or so, to stay prepared for a hurricane or tropical storm in West Palm Beach. As experts in emergency management agree on a few guidelines:
- Make a Plan
- Create a communications and evacuation plan for your family. Be sure to remember to factor in plan for pets.
- Review insurance policy and eb sure you are knowledgeable of how to document and report storm damage.
- Build an Emergency Kit
- Create and replenish emergency kits with supplies and comforts that could assist in the aftermath of a storm as well as in the case of an evacuation.
- Get Involved
- Research local shelters and organizations that have efforts supporting storm response. Consider donating time or resources and becoming familiar with their offerings in the event you need them.
- Create a list of vetted vendors who can respond to storm damage, water damage, and mold damage that we often see after a storm.
- Stay Informed with Reliable Sources
- Know your flood and evacuation zones.
- Sign up for weather event alerts through AlertPBC.
- Check the National Hurricane Center website for forecasts and updates on active storms.
Remaining proactive by staying informed from the Palm Beach County will enable your family to make the best decisions. If you feel your home has existing water or storm damage, seek guidance from from a certified restoration company like SERVPRO of West Palm Beach. We provide free inspections and offer 24/7 emergency response services to West Palm Beach Rseidents and those in surrounding areas.
For help preparing for a hurricane, reference the SERVPRO of West Palm Beach free and comprehensive hurricane preparedness guide.