Preparing For Palm Beach’s Next Hurricane’s Aftermath
The aftermath of a hurricane can be an extensive and taxing time for homeowners. This is the reality many are living currently in the wake of Hurricane Ian. Many have a long road of recovery that includes phases of cleanup and assessments prior to restoration and rebuilding. While efforts are already underway on the West Coast of Florida, places like our coastal communities in Palm Beach have a focus on reviewing what hurricane preparation and recovery planning should look like. Here are some details to keep in mind when developing to employ a more effective disaster management strategy.
- Fully survey the exterior of your home for safety hazards prior to attempting to go inside
- Contact the insurance agency and begin the claims process as soon as possible
- Have the tools and safety gear on reserve to help sift through storm damage:
- Including but not limited to headgear, lanterns, gloves, N95 mask, rubber shoes
- Respond to water damage as soon as possible
- Unattended standing water and wet structures lead to secondary mold damage. Prioritize extraction and drying efforts as soon as possible.
- Dispose of unsalvageable items and clean, sanitize, and locate storage options for those that are salvageable.
- Hire certified and capable emergency storm damage restoration team
- SERVPRO of West Palm Beach has IICRC-certified technicians to collaborate with your insurance and provide you with the services you need.
- Remaining Patient Through the Process
- Lean on friends, family, and fellow community members during this time for both practical and mental health support.
- Utilize disaster assistance and nonprofit organizations
- Identify FEMA, American Red Cross, and local organizations and their process to access financial and personal assistance.
The sooner we can safely and properly assess storm damage, the quicker the restoration process can begin. Create and consistently revisit your emergency preparedness plan. Make sure everyone in your house is aware of it. Add a vetted restoration company number, such as SERVPRO of West Palm Beach, to assist with the storm damage cleanup and restoration. Access our free hurricane preparedness guide to help prevent some potential damage hurricanes could cause.